Thursday, January 14, 2010

Points Per Shot...How the Knicks Measure Up

So I was doing a little bit of stat perusing, and I noticed that even when Gallo has an off shooting night, he usually somehow finishes with more points than shots. I did not know if this was significant.

My eyes told me Gallinari is an efficient scorer, even if he takes his fair shair of ugly shots. So I figured out his points per shot ratio, then compared it to other Knicks and players around the league. I am sure that this means something. It is a simple measure of scoring efficiency. Basically how many points a player scores divided by the number of field goals attempted. The Rooster coincidentally came up even with Dirk Nowitzki, who is having a great year for the Mavs, and who I wish Gallinari would emulate more. David Lee was the other Knick who ranked among the elite, but he trailed fellow top big men Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, and Pau Gasol considerably.


The stat isn't a measure of value obviously, with Kobe so low and Curry as the third best Knicks, but I think it is still meaningful and interesting to look at.

Z-Bo's ratio is at 1.26 right now, and "The Closer" Jamal Crawford is at 1.29.

No comments: