Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Tribute to Z-Bo

I have come into my own as a Knicks fanatic relatively recently. I admit it, I'm a bandwagon fan and when Starbury and Isaiah came to town, I had to hop on. Anyway, one of my favorite players of the Knicks modern era is Zach Randolph, AKA Z-Bo. When Zach was brought in for a junk pile, I didn't really understand the way the league worked, with salary cap ramifacations and whatnot, so I thought Isaiah got a great deal on a 20-10 lock for years to come. I didn't care about the personal issues, all I cared was that we were undoubtedly getting an offensive force of a big man, who ate rebounds like Mike Sweetney probably scarfed Krispy Kreme bread pudding (Chris Paul's fave).

I never really watched him play, except for maybe a little in college, so little did I know the Knicks were getting one of the most unique and interesting players to watch of all time. The thing about Z-Bo is, he is a 6 foot 9 Power Forward who never, ever dunks. He barely every jumps, staying planted on his behind the head "jump" shot, and boxing out and fighting so hard for board he doesn't have to jump. Throw in ridiculously long arms, a penchant for shooting at all times, and a cute pudgy face, and you have Z-Bo, or as my girlfriend used to call him, "The Bull" (a perfect nickname for the man, he had an uncanny way of plowing head first into the defense, grinding his way close, and banking up a tough shot.)

In 2008, Mike D'Antoni arrived and everyone wondered how The Bull would fit into the system. He seemed to be a perfect fit, with a lethal midrange jumper (unswattable) he was a big who spread the floor. He even attempted 2 3's a game for the Knicks. Hilarity ensued, sometimes he did really funny stuff like this and 20.6 ppg on 17 shots per game followed. Oh and 12.5 rebounds per game...without even jumping.

After the Knicks traded him to the Clippers, Z-Bo gave us what is probably his finest moment

Anyway, I miss the hustle and bustle and uncanny knack for rebounding that Z-Bo brought to the table. Sure he played awful defense, but so does David Lee and he is still around. I know the Knicks had to get rid of him, but maybe they could have waited until the trade deadline this year, so we could have had another season of The Bull.

In closing, riddle me this. Which person below is Z-Bo, and which person is Eddie Winslow? Or is it a trick question, and are they both Z-Bo, or both Winslow?


No comments: